It is also possible that they’ve joined the Marvel Universe.
Back in 2020 news came out that Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny were in the process of trying to buy a soccer team. Wrexham A.F.C is one of the oldest clubs in the UK and had been fan-owned since 2011, but now is entirely owned by the famous pair.
In a joint statement released by Reynolds and McElhenny, they stated “It is a special day for the two of us to become the latest stewards in the long and storied history of Wrexham AFC. Together with the players, the staff, the fans, and the local community, we can now pursue our goal to grow the team and return it to the EFL in front of increased attendances, and in an improved stadium, while making a positive difference to the wider community in Wrexham.”
The investment of the two is 2 million pounds, or $2.77 million. A good portion of that money has been identified to find players for the first team and other parts of the investment are set aside to improve Wrexham’s women’s program. The Wrexham Supporters Trust voted 98% yes in favor of the takeover. It is unknown if the other 2% are staunch television and film critics.
Wrexham plays in the English National League which is the fifth division of English professional football. They won their most recent match against Altrincham 1-2 and moved into 7th. Right now they are in a position to qualify for the promotion playoffs.
The next match for the Red Dragons is at home against Notts County at 5:20 pm on Saturday, February 13th. If you’d like more information on the club check out their website for updates, schedules, and merch.